Seed Potato Availability
Please note that we currently have availability for the following seed potato varieties:
- Maris Piper
- Maris Peer
- King Edwards
For further details/orders, please call Mike Shapland on 07901 114585 or James Wrinch on 07889 568449
What's Different about James Foskett Farms' Seed Potatoes?
- Produced with a sharp customer focus.
- Not just seed, but a service as well.
- Using “best practise” techniques at all stages.
- Constantly under the agronomic eye of an in-house agronomist.
- Very few surprises, sell with confidence.
- You will receive the information you need about the seed.
- All sold through ESP or James Foskett Farms
- All grown in the Safe Haven Seed Scheme.
- Sold by the replantable hectare.
Varieties grown for sale in 2017/19
- Always endeavouring to use top quality input stocks.
- All sites are virgin potato fields or very long breaks, more than ten years.
- Input stocks have disease analysis done pre planting.
- Planted in high densities and grown as a specialist seed crop.
- Rigorous aphid monitoring throughout the season.
- Continual monitoring by farm staff and agronomists.
- Early burn downs meaning earlier harvest reducing fungal disease.
- Lifting in warm and dryer (mostly) conditions, August/September.
- Lifting direct into boxes, reducing damage and abrasion.
- Quickly moved to store for cooling and ventilation.
- Maris Piper
- Maris Peer
- King Edwards
Other varieties can be grown on request as long as permissions can be obtained from the Plant Breeders.
Grading and Dispatch
- James Foskett Farms has 4000 tons of purpose built positive ventilation cold storage.
- Positive ventilation and lots of it is the best fungicide known to man.
- Removing harvest moisture reduces bacterial activity.
- Immediate cooling reduces further fungal disease attack.
- Stores are refrigerated and allow holding temperatures of a stable 2-3°C.
- Stores are cleaned thoroughly before each crop.
- Crops are re-ventilated after grading to reduce condensation events.
- The crop can remain in store until the customer really needs the seed.
- Regularly monitored by farm staff and agronomists.
Confidence, Service and Management Aid
- This seed is only graded once, into 5 size bands.
- This seed is only graded when completely dry and cured.
- Ventilation occurs immediately after grading, or seed is dispatched to the customer immediately.
- Graders are square mesh screen graders providing higher tuber counts and less problems with long tubers in certain varieties.
- Tuber counts are taken continually through the process.
- Dispatch is planned with the grower direct and is on his day and time of choosing.
- Transport is closely controlled and managed to avoid problems.
- Full documentation accompanies seed to the customer.
- The whole process is monitored by our agronomist and seed manager.
Re plantable Hectares
- Full PHSI field report available as independent analysis of stock.
- Complete G. Tomlins VCS agronomist field report available.
- Cambridge University Fungal analysis available, micro and macro.
- Post burn down viral tests for Leaf Roll, PVY and PVX available.
- Daily store temperature records kept if needed.
- Various packaging available, Bulker’s new boxes and big bags.
- Any treatments applied at cost, if needed.
- Delivery to planter “just in time” a speciality.
- No added storage costs until May.
What are the Benefits?
- The most accurate way to purchase seed, all farmers plant identified area.
- Densities will vary according to seed size and tuber count, re plantable hectares is the only method that allows this fine detail.
- There will be no waste and no annoying shortfalls of seed.
- It is easy to budget for cost.
- Improved density management leads to more uniform crops year on year.
- Spacing information supplied along with tuber counts and size splits on load.
- James Foskett Farms seed is almost always able to be planted at lower than standard densities and achieve as good results.
Even More Benefits?
- Virgin and long break soils are not a feature of Dutch or most Scottish stocks. Virgin soils have less potato pathogens present, therefore reduced pathogens on stock.
- East Anglia has a warmer and dryer climate than many other seed areas, this means conditions are less conducive to bacterial and fungal diseases.
- Early harvest is a key factor in achieving healthier seed.
- Not grading until completely dry and cured is a major factor in maintaining seed health.
- Using square mesh graders, giving even tuber counts with no long tubers is a real advantage when using cup planters.
- Better seed health and longer dormancy increases stem numbers and provides a more even plant.
- Having even tuber counts of closely graded seed means more accurate planting, especially depth.
- Acclimatisation is believed to give earlier crops than northern seed.
- Fully refrigerated stores mean you will have reliable physiological age and no de sprouting necessary.
- Just in time delivery means handling is easy and the seed is kept in the best possible state until planted.
- Just in time can be for chitting as well and is just as valuable a service.
- Customer to seed producer dialogue is still fairly unique and builds customers’ confidence.
- Reliability in the seed, the producers and agronomists.